
for my Saturday morning! There were many moments Saturday that felt like they should be in a book. I enjoyed an early morning with my grandparents in the Arlington Hardware store, a cute local shop. It has everything a guy could need and everything that a girl could desire! They have some old fashioned cookware and other such necessities of life. After browsing through the hardware store we then crossed the street and had breakfast at the Bluebird Cafe. Isn't the name great?! And the store - it even lived up to its name. There were booths full of cute old people who are regular customers at the cafe. They are there every morning to socialize over coffee and a blueberry pancake. It was fun sitting there watching them. When we were stuffed we crossed the street again to see what we could discover in the local Saturday morning swap meet. A rather stale thing, the same sellers, customers, and generally the same old stuff. But amidst junk there is usually treasure waiting, it just takes patiences. I was glad that I kept digging. I found a stack of old kids' readers, the ones that are like Dick and Jane. I love old books, but especially old kids' books. The pictures are priceless and the messages that they send are usually just as valuable. Often when you flip though an old reader you see siblings playing together and older people interacting with the younger ones, teaching them life lessons. I love that way of thinking and this is not something that is easy to find in most of today's books for kids. So needless to say, I was thrilled. My grandma bargained with the guy and he ended up selling me the seven books for 5 dollars! After shopping was done we finished up the morning with a bike ride. This was not any old bike ride. We biked around the little lake that my grandparents live on. The dog followed us and the sun seemed to be following as well. But the bikes were what made the ride really interesting! They were ancient 5 dollar finds of my grandma's. They squeeked and groaned, but we didn't mind...it was all part of the experience of my Saturday morning!
2 comments:
How fun! Poking around in old remote shops can be so rewarding!
In Germany we went to an antique store in Wittenberg, and Corina found an old German hymnbook. I found an old Phaff sewing box that matches my machine from Phaff my favorite make. It was from the early 1900s.
oh that sounds like a wonderful time :)
Post a Comment