Friday, January 1, 2010

Good and Faithful


The welcoming of new things and the passing of old can be a sad time. Especially if they are old friends which are passing. A friend who has been there through the hard time of days spent as a timid second grader, or accompanied you to your first days spent away from home in the lonely company of other homesick girls all "enjoying" a slumber party, or through your first days as a confused college freshman. Yes, this is my friend. A faithful one. She has kept me company since my first days in a private school way back when I was a slightly chubby eight year old. She has made it through eleven years of life. A life which included several quarters spent at the community college where I felt like an awkward kid who only fit in because of the similar gear that was loosely slung on my back...my backpack. I have made a very firm decision though, that now is the time to say goodbye to this friend, her zipper doesn't work and the stains wouldn't come out. So after a photo to have something to remember her by and with a firm thank you she made the humiliating trip to the garbage. I'll always remember her with fond thoughts of the past. My good, old, purple backpack.

7 comments:

FF for Christ said...

Life's tough transitions.

Kelsey said...

Well.....I call it blue =)

Such a tragic day. That piece of equipment was the happy home of ASL textbooks, math homework done in the BTC cafeteria, and of course those yummy cookies you often brought to share with your "starving" class mate =) And that was just my experience with it =) I hope you gave it a proper memorial!

=)

Abigail Joy said...

I call it blue too. =D Nevertheless it is sad to part with such a faithful companion. I hope you get a cute replacement! =)

Historian Anne said...

Oh, sadness. Is something cute coming?

Corina said...

Or perhaps it is simply blue with envy at the one which will takes her place? But I think not purple...

Go to Ross! They have some cute selections! :D

Corina said...

oh, and I must say, that IS one faithful backpack to have been with you for so long. Looking at it another way though, it is really you who has been faithful! ;) I will be happy to recommend your character to the next companion that tugs along on your back.

Shelby said...

Yes...tis sad my firefighter. ;)

Kels we did have so many fun memories stuffed into that bad. Ah...the Lord is good to give us times like those (almost makes me wish them back).

Cute? Ah well. I'm afraid that the Fred Meyers sale rack wasn't sporting anything too cute. But something that will hopefully match with more things has now officially replaced the purple one. My blue backpack is sitting by my door all packed and ready for tomorrow. Thanks for the tip Corina! I might need to stop by there and get a cute one for days when I am feeling like my books need some motivation to be packed away. :) Hehe...thanks for being willing to console my new replacement and advise it as to its future treatment. :D