I heard the song, "Waitin' on a Woman" by Brad Paisley for the first time the other day. I couldn't help but smile...I think that it was written for my dad. My parents would be the first to say that their relationship has grown both of them so much. I think that one of the characteristics that has developed in my dad is a quiet sort of patiences. He has "waited on a woman" for years, as well as served her. Here are a few examples that come to mind when I think of my dad sitting waiting, hands folded, or a paper in front of him...waiting...patiently:
-Waiting...all of the kids and my dad sitting in the big 4 door diesel truck, engine humming, trailer hooked up, dog sitting on mom's seat, kids poking each other, and my dad waiting looking out the rear view mirror for a glimpse of my mom. She runs up, arms full of stuff forgotten by her family, apologizing for the delay, and my dad just grunts and says, "lets go", just another family camping trip for the Larsens.
-Waiting in Leavenworth...after a week of feeling like hillbilly's up at the hunting camp my dad surprised me and delighted my mom with a short stop at Leavenworth. As we trekked home from a week of steak, scrapbooking, and campfires it felt like a treat to look through some more frilly shops. I can still visualize my dad and three brothers all lined up in a row outside a shop, sitting on a bench, waiting on their women.
-Waiting...on a bench outside the dressing room. My dad slumped in a chair, leaned forward, elbows pressed onto his knees, and a look of patience and familiarity. My mom and I in were in search for the perfect dress for a wedding.
My dad and I were talking about this song yesterday and he said, "Ya know what?...it is worth it, every minute."
6 comments:
Awww... *sniff, sniff*
That was a very sweet post. Your dad is awesome! :D
That song is so great too! My dad is so good about waiting too. Aaaah... I am smiling now.
Shelby that was such a sweet post! sniff.... You have such great parents!
That is precious!! I love that song...it's one of my favorites by Brad Paisley.
I love the picture. :)
That's so sweet! I love watching the affection your parents have for each other.
I need to listen to that song!
That's a great song.
DARLING post!! Love that! That final comment really encapsulates it all. Thanks for sharing Shelby dear.
Post a Comment