Saturday, June 12, 2010

Training Day

This Saturday I got to observe the Ferndale Firefighters faithfully training. What made it amazing was that they weren't just training using a video, or at the gym, or in the bay at the fire station, they used a real house! I got to see Wes's helmet disappear into a house filled with smoke and flames, then hear the high pressured hoses came to the rescue as they were skillfully used by the guys, mine being one of them. While what happened in that burning house remains somewhat of a mystery to me, one thing does not, I am very proud of my hard working firefighter! It was such a neat experience to get to learn a little bit more about what it takes to put a fire out. The variety and weight of the gear used was equally astounding. I felt the top of Wes's helmet a few minutes after he came back out when the flames had been squelched, man it was hot!






At the end of the day when they were done using the house for training it was lit one more time and this time burnt all the way. What a way to end the day, it made me smile to hear the fireman cheer as the flames got bigger, you would think that they were all doing something easy and simply fun. I do think that they had fun, but it surely did not look easy. Guys were walking around with sweat dripping off of their tired looking faces as they put all the heavy gear away, and yes, they were still smiling.

3 comments:

Historian Anne said...

Shelbs, you made his day to go see him. He said there were so many comments about you and they were all positive and made his day.

Kelsey said...

I was amazed how long you stayed there! You texted me that morning and then I called you in the afternoon and you were still there! Dedication I say! (or maybe something else..hehe =) Anyways, very sweet of you to enthusiastically support your guy. I'm sure he loved it!

Abbie said...

Cute pictures :) It's so cool you got to be a spectator at his day of training!