Saturday, March 27, 2010

From a Far Away Planet

The other day I needed to make cookies for a class presentation. Wes was done with school but sadly, I still had finals staring me in the face. To get that little bit more time with him we decided to make the cookies together at his house. I happily mixed up a batch of cookie dough, doubling the ingredients that make up the yummy mix. I even had thought to put two boxes of butter out. When I got to Wes's he even helped me roll out the cookies. I loved his guyish invention, a new way to propel the cookie dough onto its spot on the cookie sheet.


All my baking literate friends should have wondered when I told you I used two boxes of butter. Yes, when you double things you do twice as much, but this does not mean that that automatically translates to two of such things as boxes of butter. I had quadrupled the butter. What cookies it made! Dismayed moans and groans came from me as I opened the oven door. My guy got me giggling in the midst of my dismay. With his eyes laughing at me and my pan of malformed cookies he decided that they must be from another planet, or maybe they were the other planet?



Yes, they were flat. I can just picture a green little guy with large antenna type ears jumping from lump of chocolate to lump of chocolate. What would I do in such moments without Wes's sense of humor...probably cry. Thankfully he was there and instead of tears we made a funny memory.


The only problem was that I did still need cookies to bring to class...hm...how do you make a double batch of cookies with four times as much butter work? (Someone snuck this shot of me deep in troubled thought ;).


What was the best part of the day (besides Wes's grin at my creations)? The lunch that he made and served for me. Those were the yummiest quesadillas I have ever had. The combination of his secret ingredient and the melty white cheese made them just mouth watering. What a guy!


6 comments:

Abbie said...

At least what you made was still edible. I've ruined many things to a point far beyond repair. :)

Bright Hope said...

O, dear!! So what did you do?

Annie said...

Love the pictures and the story!

Anonymous said...

Oh dearie!! That's great!! I have to say that everyone in my house still really like the cookies and wanted the recipe, buttery and all :)
Butter + Boyfriends in the kitchen = Fun times.

Historian Anne said...

I like your new blog look. What a nicely composed post. It sure did look like Mar's topography, but it tastes like any other cookie. I'm glad you liked your quesadilla, I was afraid you might not like it.

Corina said...

No, historian anne, I must say they tasted BETTER than any other cookie. They were amazing Shelbs!