Monday, July 6, 2009

Time as a Family




The weekend of the 4th has one of many purposes, not the least of which is to spend time with our families. Our family is certainly entering a new season; it is an exciting thing to see a brother step into a new phase of life. Growth is happening, a season is ending, one is starting, but some things will never change. My brothers will always be brothers, their sometimes absurd love language will probably never stop, even when we are all gray and using canes...we're family.






Our time around the campfire started off with hot dogs held over dwindling coals. Someone throws a good natured insult at another someone. We are sitting around the fire Indian style, mini competitions break out over who can cook the best dog (I live in a household of men ;). Food is ready and we sit down to enjoy, but only after more scrambling for things forgotten and places to sit. A few happenings from the day are shared...scrutinized...tossed around. Food is passed around and devoured. Grant decides that Funyuns not only belong in mouths, but also work great for a stylish pair of glasses.

Andrew continues the "threatening"... holding his cup of ice water above Grant. As he pulls his cup away I decide that he might need a dose of his own medicine. The cup "tips" when he isn't looking....Booie looks up with shock, but only for a second. I jump up seeing that revenge was coming. Oh my, the sight of two 19 year olds running around the yard must have been something. One holding a pitcher of ice water, the other trying to avoid being the recipient of that freezing liquid. But sadly, the afore said runner was not nearly as fast as she should have been to save her skin, er should I say, clothes. I felt like I was hit in the back! The water was sooo cold, the shock took my breath away, but only for a moment. It all ended with us going back to our routines, back to life, with smiles.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like y'all had fun! Life is NEVER dull around your house. ;)

Stormgirl said...

OH my!! I loved reading this after hearing about it too. LOL!! You all make me smile. I love how "crazy" my quad friends are... what I do without you??!?!?!btw... have I ever mentioned that you are like a FABULOUS writer???!!!
Love you tons!

Shelby said...

Smile....why thank you! But you only see half of what goes into the writing of posts. :D I love words and finding ways to use them, but sadly as you know, the actual spelling of those words is not something that I can do (or at least not very well). So when I write a post I always have to go search for my mom to "spell check" and make sure that the spell check didn't change any words to anything that might be frightening or that would change the meaning of what I really wanted to say. Kels was my spell checker this morning. (hey who ever is willing! ;) Makes me feel like a real writer, have my own editors. <3

Historian Anne said...

What a fun post! I loved it! I enjoy getting peeks into family dynamics!

Abbie said...

Hehehe..."absurd love language." Love it. :) This story was great, relayed by you over text and then a re-run here on your blog. :)